Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christmas

Christmas was awesome this year.  Awesome.  Being our first Christmas in Omaha, and in our new house...I knew it was going to be special - but I underestimated the specialness.  I underestimated the feeling of being with the most important people in my life on a day with such meaning with nothing to do but show each other how much we love each other and looouuunnngeee.
We spent Christmas Eve with friends.  The kids played...scurrying around from upstairs and back down.  No cross words, just giggles.  The parents played as well.  True to form...my lack of moderation proved to be my downfall.  I celebrated with a motto - go hard or go home.  Needless to say, I didn't go home - not early, anyway. 
When we finally did get home, and it was indeed go-time, I have to admit that I was the weak link.  Poor Shawn had to assemble toys, put in batteries and decipher what little codes I had put on the bottom of certain packages that were from old st nick.  Did I mention having him around is better than any gift in the world?  Yep...pretty much. 
But Christmas morning was when the storybook unfolded (minus the red wine headache on my part.  ouch.).  Rexy woke up first and we were able to sneak him into our bed and satisfy him with a cup of milk and cartoons for 20 minutes until Roanin woke up.  The bigger one did not forget who had come to visit the night before, and dragged us all downstairs to check for evidence as soon as he was up. 
And evidence we found.  The boys tore into gifts and Shawn and I took turns trying to snap pictures and video in between our own delighted squeals.  It is so true that you relive life through the eyes of your children.  And this was a moment for both Shawn and I. 

After gifts, we started our new tradition of watching ET as a family (special because it was the first movie seen in a theatre by both Shawn and I -- we were also able to make it Roanin's first movie in a theatre when we took him to a special showing when he was 2).  The afternoon consisted of naps, mimosas, king crab legs, friends, laughs, card games and just bliss. 
I feel so fortunate this year.  So fortunate to have these three guys to spend both the special and unspecial days with.  So fortunate for no "plans" but the best Christmas Day experience ever.  No expectations were set...we just went with it and it blew all of our minds.  I have never felt closer to my family.  I am excited about the year ahead.

Hope your Christmas was special...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys had such a great Christmas!! Sure do miss you guys and would love to catch up!! Why don't you carve out some time for your ol' girl? : )

    ReplyDelete