Wednesday, February 1, 2012

am I ready for this?

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later...I just assumed it would be later.  Like, much later.  But Roanin has found himself a girlfriend.  Eloise (how cute is that?!?!?) is her name and she is the sweetest little thing ever. 
It all began with Roanin telling me there was a girl in his class he thought was pretty.  He talked about her consistently enough that at a function, I introduced myself to her mother and explained that Roanin might have a small crush on her daughter.  At the end of the function, as we were saying goodbye, Eloise walked straight up to Roanin and gave him a full-on hug.  I have never seen Roanin's face get as red as it was at that moment and he just kind of froze.  He had both dimples in full effect and just stood there, blushing and looking away.  And the rest is history.

Each day upon picking Roanin up from school, I get a report of what Eloise was wearing, or how pretty she looked.  He tells me if he got to sit by her, or if she laughed at a joke he told her.  One day he started our ride home conversation with, "Mom, do you know who I love the best?"  After I asked who, he said, "Eloise.  Oh, and then you."  I find little papers around the house of drawings of him and Eloise together with hearts around them.  I also found a recording on his LeapPad of a song he had made up about Eloise that might have involved the words love, kisses and beautiful.  It is simultaneously the cutest and scariest thing in the entire universe. 

So we had her over for a playdate, and they played so well together.  I was shocked at how gentlemanly Roanin was.  He let her have her way - every time.  He got snacks for her.  He let her have his seat at lunch.  He pushed her on the swing.  He just grinned the whole time. 
So as long as someone can promise me that every romance he ever has will be this simple, innocent and adorable...I guess I can handle it. 

1 comment: