Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Christmas Present I Forgot to Tell You About

So, it was December...mid.  We were in full holiday mode.  Christmas tunes were being carolled, stockings hung...the whole bit.  I was busy attempting to make sure my unconscious plan to fully spoil and overload the kids with material things to ensure their first Christmas in our new home was perfect.  So, I was caught off guard one Tuesday when Shawn announced he would be coming home in the middle of the day on the following day.  He explained he would need to be home in order to meet the delivery man who was bringing his Christmas gift. 

So...call it my delusional mindset Christmas spirit but, to me, that meant that he wanted to intercept the gift he had purchased for me for Christmas as to keep it a surprise.  Of course!  That makes total sense!

The next day, as promised, he arrived home around 2 and walked casually around the kitchen. 

"Sooooo....are you just going to wait for the UPS guy?" I asked innocently.

"Nope, it's already here."

"What?!?  Where?"

"It's out in the driveway."

Ok, now the keep in mind...I was suffering from severe Christmas spirit and perhaps had seen a few too many Lexus holiday commercials. 

"Reeeeallllyyy?  How long until I can go out and see?"

"You can go right now if you want."  

Ok, fine.  That was a little lackluster for such a big surprise, but who cares!  There was probably a big shiny new automobile with a huge gorgeous red bow on in it in the driveway!   

So we go out and I see this green motorcycle.  A little confused, I asked for clarification.

"It's my Christmas present." 

And indeed, this man went out and bought himself a Christmas present. 

We have all gotten rides, even the neighbors (Hi Jeannie!).
And I have to admit it is really fun, despite being super-skeptical at first. 

And so begins the Dunsmore annual Christmas tradition of buying yourself a gift.  Just wait until I show him my version next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment