Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Home Makeover Bathroom Edition - Before and After

Slowly and surely, we have been picking away at house.  Weekend by weekend.  Nail-bite by painstaking nail-bite (for me!).  Blister after blister.  Celebration dance-parties after toasts made to our dream coming true. 
Thot it's about time for an update.
Pit of despair Our master bathroom
You can't really see it in these lame-o pictures, but there were really two entrances to the bathroom.  There was this awkward little hallway in front of the actual bathroom that led out to the stairwell to go downstairs or to the master bedroom. 
 And the blue tile.  Holy smokes, the blue tile.  On the floor.  On the walls.  On the ceilings (competing with the printed blue wallpaper). 
There was this janky cabinet situation with a weird piece of stained marble on the top. 

The bathtub was so corroded that it felt like you were standing on the moon during a shower, and don't get me started on the fixtures. 

So we knocked out the wall to the hallway and closed off one of the doors to make the bathroom a little longer.  We ripped out the bathtub.  We ripped out the janky cabinet.  We ripped out everything...every piece of plaster (older homes have plaster walls and not sheetrock - not fun), and started new. 
Out with the old, in with the new.
I found the roman shade I wanted to put in the window in a catalog, and after measuring it and setting up the custom order...it was going to cost upwards of $250.  FOR A SHADE.  say whaaaaat?

So we showered with a ghetto sheet draped over a skinny rope that was tied to the ropes in our windows for several months.  You see, I am scared to death to spend money and that $250 estimate threw me right off kilter.  I knew I needed something there, but in situations in where I want something to be perfect....I do this super effective thing.  It is like the best kept secret on how to avoid doing something imperfectly.  Just avoid doing it.  It works craptastically.

So I took the plunge.  I bought material.  I cut material.  And I sewed me a shade. 

And it only cost me $24.  BOOOOM!
My friend (and decision maker) Jeannie helped me pick out everything.  And I needed a kick in the pants help for every step (fear of spending $$ + overwhelming pressure to make something perfect = avoidance technique discussed above).  The girl got mad skills. 






It is my favorite spot in the house right now.  It feels so sunny and warm in there.  It makes me happy.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shade, gorgeous bathroom! I love the white marble and the brightness. I would want to hang out in the john, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Sarah! I love it, especially that shower door and the terrarium...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is amazing!! The shade is so beautiful and is my favorite part (because you made it). I need you to come help me with my bathrooms...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beyond impressed! It looks amazing!!! Your shade is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy I could use your help too! I have the same tile issue, except in a hideous shade of mustard yellow, floor walls AND ceiling! Yuk! You have inspired me to get the sledgehammer (can you hear Peter Gabriel singing in the background?). The shade is awesome!!! I know those are not easy to make. It can be tricky with the drawstring part. It looks perfect and I love that fabric!!!!
    xo
    mb

    ReplyDelete