Wednesday, June 19, 2013

the dad plan

So, here's how it goes most weekends round our place.  I struggle to switch from my role as Chief Schedule Maker to Fun Go With the Flow Mom.  So I spend the first half of every Saturday stressing about being breezy, then have some sort of break and then begin my weekend about 2pm.  It used to be much worse, but old habits die hard.  

The good news is that our boys are getting to the age where naps and sippycups and distraction toys aren't as necessary to keep the mayhem at bay.  The boys can hang with us.  They like the stuff we like.  We like the stuff they like.  It's kinda awesome.
So a couple of weekends ago, summer already here...Daddy announced he was taking the reins on Sunday.  No details...he just asked that we show up and participate.  
So he loaded all our bikes, drove us outside the city, and showed us some fun.
And it was church.  Watching my boys in front of me, feeling the crisp snap from a winter that was hesitant to let go, and moving my muscles to keep up...it was magic.  The kind of church where I feel closest to God.  Where I can see the messages and feel the inspiration.

We had just scaled the biggest tree in the little creek at the end of the ride, when The Boss announced we needed to move on to the next spot.  We piled in and an irruption of squeals filled the cab of the truck as we turned left into McDonald's.  

The night before, as we were lying in bed, Shawn asked me if I had heard of the new movie Epic.  He explained to me the main character in the movie is named Roanin (Ronan in the movie).  We smiled and reveled in the joy it would produce in ours when he heard.  You see, Roanin has never met anyone who shares his name.  Never heard of anyone who does.  He would be thrilled.  I rolled over and became lost in something on tv until I heard a video playing on his phone, of which he was looking at.  It was a YouTube video discussing all the new McDonald's Happy Meal toys based on the characters from Epic.  
And of course, the McDonald's run got each boy a Happy Meal with the "Ronan Glider" included.  Not having any idea about the movie or the name connection, the boys were basically high on a greasy hamburger, some salty fries and a new toy.  Mom wasn't super upset either.  

After we ate and threw the Ronan Gliders as many times as humanly possible, we got another announcement that it was time for the next adventure. 
The matinee, candy of our choice, and a couple of hours of snacking and snuggling with my boys was on.  And when Roanin (and Rex) heard his name in the movie on the lead Leafsman?  fuugettaboutit.  Shawn and I looked across our two little men and gave each other a visual fist bump.  
We followed up the movie with a little backyard free-for-all.
And of course, Dad didn't disappoint with his fort making skills.  Because that is just how he rolls. 
And as I watched my boys, being raised by this amazing man, I could hardly believe how lucky they are.  How lucky I am.  He is the person that has been perfectly formed to fit like an intricate puzzle piece against me.  He gives me room when I need to feel in control and gives the rope of our marriage a little give.  But the second he senses that I am giving in and trusting him, he doesn't let any slack in our line and pulls his weight and mine as well.  He takes control and blows my mind.  
And if there were one thing I would want for my boys to absorb from this father of theirs, is how to be such a good person.  How to be a man. How to love others more than they love themselves.  

Happy Father's Day, babe.  Thanks for the family date, and for being you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment